History > United States > Download, free read

The Easter Rebellion by Max Caulfield download in iPad, ePub, pdf

British troops advanced on the building, supported by snipers and machine gun fire, but the Volunteers put up stiff resistance. The Irish Republican Army then launched a guerilla war against the British government and its forces in Ireland. The British government soon declared martial law in Ireland, and in less than a week the rebels were crushed by the government forces sent against them. The rebels on the roof exchanged fire with soldiers on the street.

From Thursday to Saturday, the British made repeated attempts to take the area, in what was some of the fiercest fighting of the Rising. British forces initially put their efforts into securing the approaches to Dublin Castle and isolating the rebel headquarters, which they believed was in Liberty Hall. In the northeast, British troops left Amiens Street railway station in an armoured train, to secure and repair a section of damaged tracks. Two troops of British cavalry were sent to investigate what was happening. As a result, during the following week, the British were able to bring in thousands of reinforcements from Britain and from their garrisons at the Curragh and Belfast.

City Hall was taken from the rebel unit that had attacked Dublin Castle on Tuesday morning. The British summoned pounder field artillery from Athlone and shelled the rebel positions, destroying the barricades.

Thomas MacDonagh would later become the seventh and final member. Connolly had been incapacitated by a bullet wound to the ankle and had passed command on to Pearse. After a fierce firefight, the rebels withdrew.

They agreed that they would launch a rising together at Easter and made Connolly the sixth member of the Military Council. This was the first radio broadcast in Ireland.

On Mount Street, a group of Volunteer Training Corps men stumbled upon the rebel position and four were killed before they reached Beggars Bush Barracks. At one point, a platoon led by Major Sheppard made a bayonet charge on one of the barricades, but was cut down by rebel fire. Civilians were evacuated and policemen were ejected or taken prisoner. On the southern and western edges of this district were five British Army barracks. They hoped their rebellion would be aided by military support from Germany, which was fighting the British in World War I.

The British surrounded and bombarded them rather than assault them directly. This was due to MacNeill's countermanding order, and the fact that the new orders had been sent so soon beforehand. They remained there for the rest of the week, exchanging fire with British forces. Huge crowds lined the route and gathered at the graveside. Ashe let them go after warning them not to fight against the Irish Republic again.

Unlike the rebels elsewhere, the Fingal Battalion successfully employed guerrilla tactics. Maxwell was made temporary military governor of Ireland. Fierce fighting erupted there after British reinforcements arrived. The rebels returned fire, but were forced to retreat to the Royal College of Surgeons building. It succeeded in putting the rising off for only a day, although it greatly reduced the number of Volunteers who turned out.

Unlike the rebels elsewhere theMaxwell was made